Document Actions


Different agencies are responsible for different parts of the MVSA.


Trading Standards

Registrar of Motor Vehicle Traders

The Registrar is responsible for sections 95-119 of the MVSA. This includes investigating:

  • odometer tampering and
  • motor vehicle traders who are trading illegally.


Complaints must be made in writing. You may file this complaint anonymously, but if you do not provide enough information to investigate, and cannot be contacted for additional information, the investigation may be closed due to lack of evidence. The Registrar is not required to act on every complaint received.

If you wish to make a complaint to the Registrar about a suspected illegal trader or odometer tampering, complete the complaint form.


[icon] PDF viewer software required. You will need PDF viewing software 

To view or print our forms you will require PDF viewing software such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are experiencing problems downloading our forms, make sure you have updated your PDF reader to the latest version.

Open and print the form to complete by hand, or complete onscreen using the tab button or mouse to move from field to field, then print and post to the address on the bottom of the form.


Commerce Commission

If your complaint is about a Consumer Information Notice (CIN) (for example, false or misleading information on a CIN or a missing or inaccurate CIN), contact the Commerce Commission at 0800 943 600 or email

The Registrar of Motor Vehicle Traders is unable to assist with CIN related complaints.


Consumer Protection

If your complaint is about any other issue with a trader or vehicle, the Consumer Protection website has information on buying a vehicle and problems with a vehicle.

Visit the Consumer Protection website.


Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal

The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal (MVDT) is a specific tribunal set up under the MVSA to hear claims about motor vehicles that cannot be resolved with the trader. The MVDT is administered by the Ministry of Justice.

Consumers will be able to take claims under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, the Sale of Goods Act 1908, and the Fair Trading Act 1986 directly to the MVDT. Its membership will consist of an adjudicator and an assessor appointed from a panel of pre-approved assessors.

Disputes will be referred to the trader concerned for resolution in the first instance. The names of traders who have been found against will be published in the Gazette. The New Zealand Gazette is the official newspaper of the Government of New Zealand and can be accessed online at or check your local library.

Visit the MVDT website for more information


Last updated 14 March 2019


If you would like to find out if a trader is registered under the Motor Vehicle Sales Act 2003 you can search the MVTR for free as many times as you like. 

Learn how to search and understanding your search results.

Do you have a query about vehicle licensing?  
New Zealand Transport Agency
is the agency responsible.


Related websites

Trading Standards

Consumer Protection

Ministry of Justice (Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal)

Personal Property Securities Register