Learn more about registration
There are benefits to traders who register under the Motor Vehicle Sales Act 2003 (MVSA). Some of the benefits of registration are:
- you are no longer restricted to selling from specified premises
- your salespersons are not required to be registered or approved
- there is no compulsory membership in any trade association
- there are no special warranties in addition to the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993
- there is no fidelity fund.
All registered traders have certain obligations to consumers. See Traders' responsibilities for more information.
Renew my registration
As a registered motor vehicle trader, you must renew your registration every year prior to it expiring. Renewing your registration can be done online at anytime - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Register online now
The MVSA sets out the criteria for who must register as a motor vehicle trader.
Section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Sales Act 2003 sets out the criteria for who is not deemed to be a motor vehicle trader. If relying on these criteria, please pay special attention to section 9(2).
Registration is a simple process. There are two ways you can make an application to become a registered motor vehicle trader – online or paper.
How to register as an individual or as a company.